Being in a car accident can be a very scary thing, but getting your vehicle repaired afterwards doesn’t have to be a scary experience. By following a few simple steps following a collision, you’ll keep yourself and loved ones safe and be back on the road as quickly as possible.
In the minutes following a collision of any kind, it’s critical to check on the safety and well-being of all passengers involved. If there are any injuries or uncertainties, dial 911 for immediate medical assistance, road safety, and/or traffic control.
Post-Collision Checklist to Get You Safely Back on the Road
- Put safety first and proceed after injuries are addressed and the need for an ambulance assessed
- If a minor collision, exchange insurance information with the other driver and collect all information about the other vehicle including license plate number, make, model, and color of the vehicle
- If more than one vehicle involved, anyone injured, a major collision, or if in doubt, call the police
- Always file a report with the police
- Take as many photos as possible
- Contact your insurance company
- Call Carlson’s Collision and Glass (320) 848-2020 to pick up your vehicle if it’s not drivable
- Stop by or give us a call with your questions following an accident, and we’ll be able to assist you with the information you need
- Schedule an inspection with Carlson Collision. If necessary, we can come to your location to inspect your vehicle.
- *Obtain an estimate. The next step is an estimate for repairs of your vehicle. Carlson Collision will submit the estimate to your insurance company on your behalf.
- **Make an appointment for repairs at a certified and trusted provider. Relax and let Carlson Collision do what we do best. We’ll get your vehicle back to the condition it was prior to the accident.
*The Process of Repair Estimates & Costs
Not sure if your insurance will cover repairs? Whether they will or not, the best place to start is by contacting them as soon as possible. In most cases, you are going to let your own insurance company know about the collision, especially if the accident only involved your own vehicle. In some cases, you may be contacting the insurance company of another driver if someone else was at fault. The police report will help determine and support who is at fault in the collision. Many insurance companies send an estimator to the location of your car to assess the value of the damage and necessary repairs. However, some may ask you to seek an estimate either by driving your vehicle (if possible) to a nearby estimating facility or by some other means. Likewise, if you intend to pay for a repair yourself, seeking an estimate can give you an idea of the approximate cost involved. For your convenience, Carlson’s Collision also offers an easy-to-use online estimate request form.
**Selecting a Repair Facility With Safety Credentials
If insurance is paying for your repair, you may or may not have a choice in your repair shop. Some insurance companies may require you to work with one of their preferred facilities, whereas others may allow you to select the repair shop of your choice. Carlson Collision works with most insurance companies and has years of experience with the insurance repair process. Choosing a repair shop that is properly certified and trained, like Carlson Collision, to work on your particular vehicle make and model can make a big difference in the overall quality and safety of any repairs made to your vehicle. While many fix-it shops can help your vehicle look good after a collision, Carlson Collision focuses as much on safety as aesthetics. It is critical that repairs are made to your vehicle that align with your manufacturers specifications. There are special industry certifications that help consumers like you locate safe, reputable, and certified repair facilities. Carlson Collision is one of these preferred providers with certifications that include: I-CAR Gold Class and Assured Performance Network, just to name a few! Review all our certifications.
Relax and let Carlson Collision do what we do best. We’ll not only get your vehicle back to the condition it was prior to the accident, but we’ll help insure you are safely back on the road.